Nightshade NG (Next Generation)¶
Throughout 2013 we will be releasing a number of preview releases (PR-1, PR-2, etc.) so that you can see how development is progressing and help out the project by submitting bug reports and suggestions. Preview releases should be considered pre-beta software with many bugs and missing features. They should not be relied upon for serious uses until our final "Gold" release.
Consult our Roadmap for details about release dates and feature plans.
Planned New Feature Highlights¶
- A terrain engine, for realistic and detailed terrain imagery and topographic data for select planets such as the Earth
- Fly through the solar system, to other stars, and even outside of the Milky Way galaxy
- Extensive 3d galaxy database
- Improved atmosphere rendering to encompass on and above Earth views
- The ability to view 3d models of irregular bodies such as asteroids or spacecraft, or even user loaded models such as chemical compounds
- Windows (XP and newer)
- Future: OSX (Intel)
- Memory: 4GB recommended
- Processor: Intel Core i5 or equivalent recommended
- Graphics: Chipset must support OpenGL version 3.0 or higher. NVIDIA works well, other brands may not.
Preview Release 1 Downloads¶
To see how far we are coming on Nightshade NG development, you can download a preview release. We are not yet to even a beta release, so expect a lot of bugs and missing features. If your bug is not already reported, help us out by reporting a bug.
NOTE: If you do not have an NVIDIA video card, this release may not run for you. (But you should at least get an error message.)
Source package (grab this to build on Linux)
Add-Ons for Nightshade NG.